Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steps to diagnose faint clicking noise 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanYsidro

Technical User
Aug 17, 2004
US
I have a user with a 3904 that is only about 1 year old - Option 11C rel 3.0 - with a very faint clicking occuring during her calls. This user can not hear the clicking as well as the person speaking to her. What's the fastest way to diagnose this problem in the event I determine it is NOT the telephone. Has anyone ever encountered any types of electrical interference that would create a steady faint continual click? They seem to be about 3-4 seconds apart. I've heard it myself and it is definately not static. None of the other 3 telephones in that office have an issue with this type of noise.

not usually cable but it could be induction.. i would change the tn 1st.. then ground all the spare pair in the station wire on one end.. that may filter emf.. i have seen a starter in a flourestant fixture cause that.. very uncommon

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I have had users report a similar problem. It was determined that it was personal cell phones creating the problem. I couldn't begin to tell you how it was causing the problem but it was only when the cell phone was about to get an incoming call or they were using it to make an outbound call. We finally told them not to keep their cells by their desk phones or PC speakers and that fixed the issue.

suggest you upgrade the firmware and check all phones.
Even if her phone is OK, the fact that other phones are not at the correct firmware level can cause this. correct firmware level means, that it matches the level on the switch

John
Florescent was one of the first things that came to my mind. Regarding the grounding - I've never done that before at least not with jumper wire. How do I go about doing that?

Blackberry devices will also cause noise on the line occasionally during OTA syncs.

if you have 66 or 110 blocks just grab a ground in the switchroom and loop it through all the vacant pair going to that jack.. it almost works like a shielded cable and we used to do that for radio induction along with filters...because the clicks are sequenced ... your looking for a spike that is timed? not usually lights.. but still in the emf range.. grounding is fast and cheap so i usually try that 1st..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Make sure the user doesn't have one of those new Florescent desk lamps. That is a problem we are having here.

My organisation has had a few instanced of a very similar fault. We found a laptop & Power Supply was sitting within a few feet of the phone. Power Supply relocated, fault was never mentioned again.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. The telphone in question does have the latest firmware and there are no other 3000 series telphones in that area. I will check all of the mentioned remedies & post when I find the problem.

Okay - here's what I did
swapped out the telephone - No Change
swapped the TN - No Change
The user is out for the day so there is no cellphone, blackberry or PDA charger, etc. on the desk or under it.
No florescent lights or lamps.
HOWEVER
The office is on the outside of the building and the cord runs along the wall under a window to the wall jack on the opposite side of the room. Immediately outside the window at almost the exact distance of the baseboard is wiring that supports a system that repels pigeons from the ledge as well as the outside of that entire side of the building. The user's assistant told me that the company that installed the system was here about two weeks ago - the same time that the clicking began. I realize that this problem has now gone beyond the Nortel/Meridian group genre, but I'm wondering if anyone in the group has encountered a similar type of a voltage issue & come up with a workable solution.

Might try a radio freq. filter from 'Hello Direct'?

To confirm this, if you have an inductive amplifier used for tracing jumper wires, turn it on an d hold it near the jack. It will for sure pick up anything causing interference along the line.

As John Poole said, ground the spare wires in the cable at both the jack and the MDF. You can also try making up a new line cord out of shielded cable to run from the phone to the jack. Kinda kludgy, but should be easier than re routing the cable.

I have same problem with a 2616. There are several 2616s in the area, but only having trouble with one of them. Changing TN didn't help. Thanks for suggestions about cell phones, stereos, PC speakers, and lights. Lots of those in the area as well.

After running shielded cable to the telephone from the jack and grounding the pair on the 66 block, the clicking sound was still there and as loud as ever.
I spoke with the facilities department & we did a meter test in the room that indicates low voltage spikes occuring at the same frequency as the clicking on the line. They are going to bring the folks out that wired the pigeon deterrant and either have them reroute the wiring or sheild their cable or both.
Many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions - I sure learned a lot today.

that's one for the books, i've seen the electric railroad pigeon welcome mat.. it's a basic spike style gemerator// you can't find a better way to induce noise... fastest way to find that one would have been to hold a probe anywhere in the room.. good luck on getting the provider to filter it.. the device depends on the spike to startle the birds

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

It's not that we don't like pigeons. The building in question is an official historic landmark that was designed in a way (and I doubt that they realized it in 1906) that both provides a 12" second-story ledge for pigeon nests and shelters them from the elements as well. The trouble with that is that if you walk below this ledge prior to the recent restoration of the building and installation of the system, you'd better be wearing a hat. This building is a challenge to install wiring in as the masonary walls are over a foot thick & have to conform to historic landmark status.
Interesting what you say John about the way the generator works. I learned that the power is generated by a solar panel on the roof and the system runs strictly on DC. The installer claims there is "no way" that the power spikes can interefere with the telephone conversations, so they are going to come out on site next week to get educated. Fortunately for me, the user that is experiencing the trouble is the assistant to the University President & she has a lot of say about what will be done to resolve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back