Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step by step instruction to mount remote filesystem (nfs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncletom

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
DE
Hi,
I need step by step instruction (absolute beginner) to mount a remote linux filesystem from an OpenVMS 6.2 Alpha using UCX. So what have I to do to mount a local OpenVMS-folder called test with a remote linux-folder called /home/usr/backup on mentioned linux machine called linux_ws ???
thnx.

You mount network drives, not folders under VMS, but it has the same outcome...

First, verify the host is known either locally or resolvable from DNS on the VMS system. If not, add it to the UCX hosts locally.

The following moutn command should work - if not, try using UCX HELP MOUNT for further info:

$ucx mount $1$dnfs1: test disk$test -
/host="linux_ws"/path="/home/usr/backup"/system

This mounts a network disk drive ($1$DNFS1 in this case, but adjust the allocation class to whatever you are using). The disk is labelled "test", and can also be referred to as disk$test. The device is mounted to the system account, so should be accessible across the system.

You should check if there are any other DNFS devices first, and increment the number if there is...

If this is to be a persistent device, don't forget to add it to you disk mounting procedures for the system startup or the device will disappear when you next reboot.

Hope this helps!!

Hugh.
[pipe]

Hi Hugh,
thanks or help.
I have difficulties to understand the meaning of

"$ucx mount $1$dnfs1: test disk$test"

and, what is more important, how to create such device.
What is the command to check if there are any other DNFS devices ?

This happens, when I try the mount command:

UCX> MOUNT $1$DNFS1:TEST DISK$TEST /HOST="SPT"/PATH="ICEM/ICEM_DATA/UNC"/SYSTEM
%UCX$DNFSMOUNT-E-MOUNTFAIL, error mounting $1$DNFS1:TEST
-SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

Please consider that I am a VMS newbie !

Thank you.

Appendix:
"Thanks for help", obviously.

Please give me a hint where to find the file
"to add it to your disk mounting procedures for the system startup" (quote).

Thanks a lot.

I'll try and clarify...

There should be a space between "$1$DNFS1:" and "TEST" in the above command - this may be why it failed...

You do not need to "create" the device - the command that mounts the device actually creates the virtual device
"$1$dnfs1".

As for making it persistent by puting it into the system startup, look at the file sys$startup:systartup_vms.com;
This is the procedure that is run after a system reboot, and all local commands (such as starting applications, mounting disks etc) start from that file. Usually there is another file called from the above that mounts the disks, but it is OK to mount disks within systartup_vms.com

To see if you have any other network devices mount, do:

$ show device dnfs

If anything else is mounted, you'll see they are incremented by 1 for each device. I.E. $1$DNFS1, $1$DNFS2 etc. Do NOT try and mount $1$DNFS0 (zero).

You can put the following into sys$startup:systartup_vms.com and it should mount the device after every reboot. Try it from the command line first to make sure it works though!

$ucx - !(this calls out to UCX)
mount - !(this tells UCX you are mounting a network drive)
$1$DNFS1: - !(this is the device name that will be created)
TEST - !(this is the label the $1$DNFS1 disk will have)
DISK$TEST - !(this is the system logical reference for it)
/HOST="SPT" - !(tells what host has the file system)
/PATH="/ICEM/ICEM_DATA/UNC" - !(the file system!)
/SYSTEM ! (mount using the SYSTEM use account)

If you're mounting more than one drive, change the label "TEST" to something different for each one, or the command will fail with a "device with the same name already mounted" error.

You can cut/paste the above - this should work - fingers crossed! You can remove the "!" and everything after it on each line if you wish, but leave the continuation "-" characters where they are.

If you get really stuck, drop me an email at hugh_perth@hotmail.com as I check that every day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back