Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steaming Sound distorts in Flash 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
GB
Very much a newcomer to Flash 5 -- so please bear with me!

I'm trying to use a streaming soundtrack in my movie, but on playback it gains what I can only describe as digital "clicks" that sound as though they might have something to do with the compression.

I've tried various combinations of adding the original .wav file or an MP3 version of it and I've tried various compression ratios too. Only the absolute top quality setting seems to eliminate these clicks -- which would be unsuitable for a standard phone-dial-up audience on the web.
I'm not after CD quality stereo sound.. I just want it to play back without these annoying "clicks"!

Am I doing something wrong... or is this a known problem with streaming soundtracks..?

post a link so we can understand what your talking about..make sure it happens on different systems rather than just yours..and go from there..
e.gif

carlsatterwhite@endangeredgraphics.com

The clicks are happening OFF-line.. when simply playing back the .swf file.

I can see from the archive to this forum that other users may have had this sort of problem.

Should streaming of a soundtrack in Flash sound "clean" even at standard telephone dial-up speeds..?

Should streaming of a soundtrack in Flash sound "clean" even at standard telephone dial-up speeds..?

i'm guessing how much power each users processor would have would play a key part in determining that..and how are you testing off line? you uploaded the file in which you are streaming right? because if you are streaming locally from your system that could be the problem..upload the files and let me see if i have the same problem..

did you set a buffertime for your streaming?
e.gif

I've uploaded the test-site I'm working on:

You'll find an opening animation with a few sounds... then in the main site go to the VOICEOVERS and PRESENTATION pages to test out the SHOWREELS.
I instructed Flash to compress the audio at 32kbps, converting stereo to mono and at "Fast" quality.

By the way, my off-line tests may not have technically been "streaming" but I was bothered to be getting these "clicking" sounds added into the audio from the .swf file on my hard-drive before I'd even got involved with trying to play it back off the net.

Thanks for taking the trouble.

tested both showreels and they played fine for me..had no clicking noises..

i'm on a 500mgh with pIII and cable modem..have you tried the links from your system online?. are you still having those problems?.and you never answered the question about setting the buffertime..i highly reccomend that you do if you want to play sound this way..
e.gif

Thanks for checking it out.

I'm getting the a similar problem of "clicking" from the on-line site on my main PC, but curiously my less-well specified laptop seems happier to play the movies.

Maybe it's a quirk of my PC's soundcard..?

I'm unclear how to set the buffering, beyond the sound settings I've already given.

(signing off for the day now -- will check back again tomorrow. Many thanks again!)

frame actions under properties:

_soundbuftime=10;

10 being the frames you want loaded before it starts playing..adjust to whatever suits your needs..
e.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back