Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stealth installation of Cisco Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

compufxr

MIS
Jul 28, 2004
US
I want to connect the LAN of an office to E0. I want to connect S0 to a private T-1 that comes to our office. S0 is the default route. I want the office on E0 to get their data through us. All routes are static.

Here's where it get's tricky. There are some services we can't provide, they belong on a LAN in the building that the office is in. I want to connect E1 to that LAN. I do not want the default route of S0 used or advertised to E1. In fact, I want nothing advertised on that interface.

I know using firewall IOS and access-lists will prevent the E1 lan users from getting in, but will it stop broadcasts and route availability?

Since you are using static routes, passive interface won't work in this case. Also the default route entry to use S0 as the default route is a global config, so you can't just say it will work for E0 and not E1. You will have to either use an ACL, or on the router connecting to S0, you specify a static route strictly for the network address of E0 to go out back the serial interface. You don't have to worry about Broadcast, it's not routable.

static - I missed that part. But static routes aren't advertised by themselves- you'd need to redistribute them into a dynamic routing protocol for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back