Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stealing Internet Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrioruw

Programmer
Jan 30, 2004
CA
Hi all,

I am sharing my DSL internet with a floor-mate by using a D Link router. The internet account is mine, and router is his, so he installed the driver for the router but the router is in my room because of wiring.

The download speed for DSL is suposed to be 300Kb/s, however, the speed tested on my machine is only 29Kb/s or even less. I am confused, because there are only two of us using it. Compared to previous time when six people using one connection, this time it is apparently slow.

Suspicion: the light of his port on router flashes all the time, which means data is transferring.

My question is: Is he able to control the bandwidth? How can I counter-strike his "hostile" action?

Any help would be appreciated.

Warrioruw, your flatmate probably can't control the bandwidth, mainly because QoS is a feature available to more expensive industry routers, not your average home/office router.

Your download speed should be 300kbps - i.e. 300 kilobits per second (small b!).
Windows (& most apps) gives download speeds in kBps - kilobytes per second (capital B!).
8 bits per byte, hence 300kbps = 37.5kBps.
This has caught quite a few people out before!

Finally, if it is apparently slow to you, ask your flatmate to switch his machine off (not just stop connecting to the internet - switching it off will make sure that any spyware isn't eating the connection) and test your download speed - preferably against as close a host (in network terms) as you can find - this is usually your ISP's web server or FTP server.

If it's still slow, try checking for virus/spyware, and checking all your connection settings, or post back here with the results and what you've done, and we'll put our thinking caps on again!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back