Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STAYING ONLINE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman2

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
Visit site
Fighting to stay online (when you get online at a decent speed) can be aggravating.<br>My ISP has made it hard to stay online...as a response to so many people getting a busy signal. You can get online...you just can't STAY online.<br>Remedy: africam.com has a cam scan window that is (besides fun to watch) useful to keep you online.<br>That way I can fill out forms and orders online and not get knocked off until I'm ready to go offline.<br>(I'm sure there are other sites that refresh themselves often enough to &quot;look busy&quot;.)<br>Mind you, I don't just hookup in the morning and disconnect at night.<br>But while I am surfing/working, the e-time is more better.<br>Now about those handoffs they do with modems at the ISP...<br><br>cadman2<br>:)&gt;[) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hey Cadman,<br><br>I seems from your description that you are &quot;timing out&quot; in two minutes or less.&nbsp;&nbsp;Correct??<br><br>What does your ISP claim that their minimum activity/connect rate is?<br><br>Is your ISP over subscribed?<br><br>Have you thought about a digital line?<br><br>boxplan

Actually, as soon as I hooked up and downloaded this page...I heard the modem drop off.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you're not downloading more...(doing something)...you get unhooked.<br>BUT&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;The cavalry is on its way...there's a microwave wireless hookup coming...that FLIES...and you stay connected.<br>The current ISP is obviously oversubscribed...blowin' smoke and gambling nobody else will compete with them. (WRONG!)<br>The digital line (sure, on one of my complaint calls they suggested I connect ISDN) is owned by the ISP...which motivates them like the cable TV provider is motivated.&nbsp;&nbsp;To motivate you to dislike their cable system so much...you'll hook up to THEIR SATELLITE SYSTEM!<br>Forgive me, my pessimism is showing.<br>cadman2<br>soon to fly<br>:)&gt;[)<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Remember that satelite is receive only.&nbsp;&nbsp;You still have to have an ISP to transmit.<br><br>What about ADSL?&nbsp;&nbsp;Is it available in your area?&nbsp;&nbsp;The phone company and the cable companies are competing with each other and consumers are winning!<br><br>ISDN was at best an expensive experiment.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whew! I'm glad that we're through with it!<br><br>Boxplan

My reference to satellite was confusing. THAT was in reference to the attitude of the ISP AND the CABLE company...not one and the same.<br>AND a new ISP is coming with a 2.4GHz microwave wireless hookup that uses an ISA slot (where my modem is now) to take you to and from a T1 connection. The microwave has a 1-2 mile range and I'll be well within that once they get another tower up. <br>11 times the throughput of cable. I've seen it run and it flies.&nbsp;&nbsp;Bye bye xtra phone line...hello flying packets.<br>:)&gt;[) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

If your're connecting to a T1 line the maximum speed that you will get is 1.54 Mbit.&nbsp;&nbsp;It won't matter how fast your wireless hookup is if all the T1 can give you is 1.54Mbit.&nbsp;&nbsp;Am I missing something?<br><br>boxplan

Unless you are a server site, the most intense traffic is inbound, so satellite downlink inbound with phone line outbound makes sense for non-server tie-ins, if the cost/bandwith relationship is right.<br><br>OTH, is you're a server site, then you want all the outbound bandwith you can get, within economic reason, 'cuz outbound traffic is usually much greater than inbound. Of course, most hookups have both inbound and outbound on the same line; satellite is the exception.<br><br>Hmm.&nbsp;&nbsp;Dunno about wireless - they could use separate transmit and receive channels, each negotiated on an as-needed basis.<br><br> <p>Octalman<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back