Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stay connected to network while in stand by/hibernate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japetto12

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
US
Is there a way to keep my network connection active when my machine goes into stand-by and/or hibernates? It disconnects whether I'm on a wireless connection or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Why? Does it take a long time reconnecting?

If it remains connected then because of network activity etc it can't really hibernate. In hibernate mode, nothing runs so it has to disconnect.

Check your settings under Power to see what events can bring your machine out of Standby or Hibernation. You should also check your Network adapter properties to see if you have disabled any network adapter Wake on activity capabilities. Also the BIOS may have some listed Wake on Event or similar.

This thread talks about "Wake On Events".

I just built a new system for mysel
Thread779-738769

Well I have a laptop that runs a backup across the network every night. I'd like the laptop to be hibernating, or at least in stand-by so it's not powered on all the time. I put a check mark in my scheduled tasks that says 'wake up computer to run this task' but that doesn't wake it from hibernating, maybe it just gets it out of stand-by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back