Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

status of processes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilio500

Programmer
Oct 15, 2000
UY
hello..

whats the meaning of a "sleeping" process in linux?
is there a (short and to the point) web source of information that i could read for knowing more about linux processes and their state?

thank you so much. [sig][/sig]

A sleeping process is a process which is not running at the moment but could be called by another process or application, so instead of dying or using system resources while waiting it sleeps. An example could be the &quot;top&quot; program which runs in intervals to get statistics on your machine. It runs, gets a snapshot and then goes to sleep for a given amount of time, the default sleep time is something like 15 seconds. So, every 15 seconds it wakes up takes a snapshot and goes back to sleep. It continues like this until you change the interval time or kill the program. As for short and to the point references, I don't believe they exist. Linux/Unix is too complicated for short answers and short answers usually lead to problems or more questions. [sig]<p>Jon Zimmer<br><a href=mailto:b0rg@pcgeek.net>b0rg@pcgeek.net</a><br><a href= Aetea Information Technology</a><br>The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back