Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Statistics vs. Data Mining 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clusty

Programmer
Oct 8, 2007
CH
After reading the very interesant discussion about reporting and data mining on this forum ( I have found an interesting paper which is comparing (to a certain extent) statistics and data mining. The main question the author ask is whether data mining is statistics "déjà vu".

You can find the paper here:
Sandro Saitta

Great article.
Thanks.

I have always thought data mining and statistics were initimately connected, but I had taken 15 credits of stats in college, and was familiar with many of the techniques and their algorithms before "data mining" became a buzzword.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

I understand your point of view. But at that time, the buzzword was maybe machine learning and not data mining. I personally see "data mining" and "statistics" as two different fields (although closely related). The way you approach the same problem is completely different from a statistic or from a data mining point of view.

Sandro Saitta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back