Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static with AOL logoff. hardware issue or gas problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAlloy

Technical User
Feb 24, 2003
US
OK, I'm running AOL 8.0 with a cable modem and windows XP and logitech 4.1 speakers.

Whenever I log off of AOL and its says "goodbye", this is immediately followed by a short burst of static. This does not happen if I happen to be playing something in winamp for example, only if I dont have anything else running.

Now it does almost sound like flatulance, and seeing I'm not really a big fan of AOL I might even consider this one of their new features. But seriously I'm wondering If anyone else has encountered this. My sound drivers are up to date and speakers correctly installed. Just curious why this is the only circumstance when this happens.

Thanks in advance

An easy way to determine if it is the AOL file is to search for "goodbye.wav" no quotation marks, and then play the file outside of AOL.

If you hear the static, then the file is the cause. If not there could be another issue.

If you do not care to hear the sound, you can always rename the file and then AOL will not play it.

I checked that file tkevcu, in fact I checked them all. They all play fine. The only time this happens is when I shut down aol, and then only if nothing else is playing.

The real question is, "Why are you using aol?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back