Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static vs Dynamic IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeblebrox

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
CA
I am building a small peer-to-peer network with 9 PCs operating Win 95 and 98 to connect to an ISP through an ADSL with a Cisco 827 router. Should I assign IPs to each computer and the router or should I use the DHCP function in the router?

It's probably easier to configure statics on your PC's. Your ISP will either give you all the addresses or just one for your router. If you're only assigned one, then you'll have to run NAT on the router.

The short answer is use statics, you don't really have an issue with (re)configuring your PC's as you have only 9.

Good luck,
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Here's an alternate opinion.

I would highly recommend using DHCP. It is trivial to set up, is the default for all of your workstations and will completely remove the necessity of ever having to reconfigure your workstations, keep track of numbers, etc.

If anything changes (Static IP address, Name Server addresses, etc.), you only need to make one change at the router.

I would agree with davidarndt, whether you have 9 or 900 PC's DHCP just takes the guess work out of the whole thing for users. We used to do all static addresses where I currently work, and about two years ago we made the change because we deployed about 200 laptops and they were 90% of our help desk calls because we never realized that when they go to other locations in the company they'll need a different IP due to subnetting and whatnot. So when we moved to DHCP it really made it easier for the users, easier for us (no more databases to maintain on what user had what IP anymore). Its really just nice to be able to go anywhere in a building, plug in a PC and it work. Its also nice for vendors and whatnot that come in and want to check their mail or websites.

Just keep the servers and such on static IPs. I went to customer one time who had EVERYTHING on DHCP. Boy was that ugly ;-) He decided to keep it DHCP and just reserve the IP/MAC.. I still think it's a bad idea but he was the customer so I said my piece and never went back.

MikeS "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back