Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static Route Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisco222

Vendor
Jul 9, 2007
GB
2 ISP's 2 gateways

Static Route Tracking example
R1(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2
R1(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.3.3.3 10

if the 2.2.2.2 network goes down it will use 3.3.3.3

however when as ISP goes down the gateway usually stays up so can i can track the link of the ISP side so if it goes down it will fail over?

Would it be better using a dynamic routing protocol?

Thanks

well if your ISPs are willing to you can run BGP with them which would be super exciting for you I am sure....

aside from that I think this is what you may be looking for:

cheerios.

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

You may have several options.
1. look at the Cisco implementation of SLA monitor along with route tracking. In short, the monitor can test (ping for example) a chosen object (like an address) outside via main gateway and if there's no response, it will remove the tracked (better) route from the routing table so that the second one via 3.3.3.3 will be used. When the situation is rectified the IOS will re-insert the route. Keep in mind that after the fail-over active connections will continue via the established path.
2. If you have Cisco ASA in front, they have th edual ISP option (a licensed feature).
3. As imbadatthis said, BGP with ISPs. However you must have at least /24 to do that, whether from an ISP or as a direct allocation from the regional registrar.
Also, the URL provided above points the article on HSRP with tracked interfaces, not the tracked routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back