Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static route in PP 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomavv

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
IN
I have two passport 8600 and two router.What I require is when one router is down the traffic should shift to another router. but it does not happen

The config is one router is connected to Passport First and another to Passport second.

the static routes in First Passport is as follows are as follows.where as there is no static route in second Passport.

L3 PP8600_First:5# sh ip static-route info

Ip Static Route
============================================================
DEST MASK NEXT COST PREF LCLNHOP STATUS ENABLE
------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.X.X.4 1 5 TRUE ACTIVE TRUE

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.X.X.8 10 5 FALSE ACTIVE TRUE

Here 3.x.x.4 is IP of router 1 and 3.x.x.8 of router 2.

Please Suggest.

Regards

Mavvy

How should the traffic shift to another router, if there is a STATIC Route to a router that may be down?
How are the static routes propagated to the second passport?
Do you use a routing protocol?
I recommend to use OSPF on all 4 routers instead of static routes.

Hi

There are two static routes with diffrent cost to two different router.The requirement is the traffic should adopt the second static route with higher cost in case router number one goes down.
I guess now the scenario is clear.

Please suggest

MAvvy

Without RIP or OSPF, how do you expect 8600#2 to route if one goes down?

How are the 8600's connected? MLT?

I, as well, strongly recommend using OSPF vs static routes.

Why would OSPF be overkill? VRRP and OSPF are not even close to the same thing... For one...if he has Cisco for the routers, he wouldn't even use VRRP, he'd use HSRP which is much better. If not, then he could use VRRP WITH OSPF, which would be the way that I would recommend to do this for true redundancy and the easiest way to do what he is trying to accomplish.

1.) Set up VRRP or HSRP (if Cisco) between the two routers. This will allow hot failover in case of link failure, or router failure.
2.) Set up OSPF to do your routing and cost each link...this will allow automatic failovers and will negate the need for the management headache of manually entering costed static routes everywhere...and hoping that you do not have a typo...

Once OSPF and VRRP/HSRP are set up...they just work.

If he has 2 passport 8600's, then he has to have at least a medium sized network... OSPF would make his life so much easier.

We have 16 8600's and over 120 other routers...with redundant links to every stie. I can't even imagine trying to manage that without OSPF...

Thanks for the reply.
1)Here we have two 8600 with MLT and OSPF is enabled between two passports.
2)The VRRP/HSRP between router and passport is not configured rather there are two static routes with diffrent cost for two cisco routers.

Its not working .do you suggest me to implement VRRP/HSRP between passport and router.

Mavvy

The way to solve this with static routes is to configure VRRP on the 8600 and VRRP on the router or in case of a Cisco HSRP.
Configure on the 8600 two VRRP processes, one with e.g. x.x.x.1 as VRRP address, the other with x.x.x.2 as VRRP address. Do the same on the route but us different processes and VRRP addresses.
On the 8600 give x.x.x.1 the best priority on one and x.x.x.2 on the other, so they are both active for an other address. Do the same on the routes.
Now configure one static route on each (8600 and routers) to the opposite device.
When one device goes down the other will become master for both processes.

HI

For VRRP on Passport and HSRP on Cisco router do I need to have physical connectivity from each Passport to each router?

Mavvy

Yes they need to "see" each other.
The idea is when one device is down the other tree can still "see" each other.

An other way can. I suppose the Passports are linked.
The routers can have a link to each other and static routes with higher cost pointing to each other, when a link to a Passport is down then the higher cost route will take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back