Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static route (default) send by RIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kv123

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
HR
Hi,

Does cisco send it's own static default route with RIP updates or not?

Thanks,
Ivana

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Could you elaborate on that a little bit?

For example, cisco has static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 (BRI) which is lower priority then rip.(rip is enabled only on ethernet interface) It's getting default route by RIP from another router and that route is active in his routing table, and when it's stops receiving RIP update from another router (for example connection is lost) his own static route becomes active (for example in case of ISDN back-up). So does it send that route by RIP update on his ethernet interface?

From what I am gathering here you are talking about a floating default-gateway. When the default-gateway of better metric goes down the second best metric (refered to as floating) default-gateway takes over.

You can use a floating static route as well.

This will explain what I am talking a bout a little better.

I should not have used metrics in my wording there, I should have used administrative distance. I apologize for that slip up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back