Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static on outgoing voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroundRatt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
US
I recived the following email today:
Apparently ALL the phones here in the building today have a great deal of static on them today. Every incoming phone call here today the person on the phone has said what a hard time they are having hearing us. We can hear them ok.

I am new to CME I am an avaya guy but we are switching over to ccm. The cme is a out building. Can anyone tell me where to start looking? The system is CME 3.3

Steve

What type of incoming trunks do you have, PRI or FXO analog trunks? If it's PRI, I'd start with the T-1 circuit itself to see if it's a Telco issue, then the PRI module in the gateway. If it is FXO, I'd take an analog phone with me and have someone dial to me on all the incoming lines to see if it's a Telco issue. Then try to isilate it down to the FXO module. I am assuming all Internal calls are OK.

FXO analog lines are the trunks. Yes internal is O.K. It is the calling party that is having the problem hearing. on out end we can here the caller but the caller hears static. I will check the lines and see if it is a telco issue.

Steve

By the way thabks fir your help! :0)

Steve

Analog lines aren't usually directional. It sounds more like an FXO issue. I'd try a different FXO module or swap ports to see if it's maybe the first choice port.

There is a known bug in the DSP software for CME 3.3. You have to reset the DSPs inside the router. You could reboot the whole router and that would do the same thing. But the first option is better because the users never notice.
It will stop the problem for about a month or two, but it's likely to repeat itself. I would try CME 4.0 if you're looking for a more permanent solution.

Mystral (Ty) Massé
Network Analyst
University of Texas Health Center

Also, you might try hooking up a butt set and testing the lines before they hit your equipment. You may have a issue with the carrier.

I ran into this before, it turned out to be the headset that the user of the IP phones were using. Could this be the case if headsets are being used?

We had this problem before and had to upgrade the IOS on the gateway router. Resetting would only solve the problem for a short time.

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

CCNA,CCNP,CIPT, Network+
Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back