Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static on 412

Status
Not open for further replies.

h382

Vendor
Aug 9, 2005
US
So, I have a 412 running 6.0.8. All digital sets.

Two weeks ago, when you go offhook and hear the system dial tone, you would get the dial tone, but every second there would be a quick burst of static. Almost sounds like what a record sounds like when you put the needle on the record. The static continues during calls as well. I don't hear it while checking voicemail though.

The last time, I rebooted, and the static went away, but it's back. We have about 170 users in the office, and it's the same across the board, not just one user.

Is the 412 starting to go?

Could bebut then youshould hear it with vm too.
Thinking about the provider.

ACSS IP Office
APSS IP Office
APSS UC
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Well this happens as soon as you go off hook, or press the speaker button. Before you even press any numbers to dial.

Is your IPO grounded properly? Improper grounding can cause static issues.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Yes it is grounded.

This just started last week. System has been in since October 2007. A reboot fixes it for a few days.

I had a similar experience. It turned out to be a bad DS 30 modular. The static got worst and more frequent; you would hear the static on only a couple of phones at first, then eventually all of them. How many DS modules do you have?

I have 5 DS30 modules, and it's happening at least on the ones for the 7th floor, I'll have to check some phones on the 6th floor to see if they are having the same issue.

I assume you mean the handsets only are split between the floors and not the exapnsion modules i.e they are all stacked on top of each other using the 1m blue leads :)

ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

If it is only on kne floor then get a phone, that has static, and plug it straight in to a module (try different modules)

ACSS IP Office
APSS IP Office
APSS UC

Just got done plugging a digital phone in on every module, and it happens on every one. Even happens on the Analog modules..

May well be the 412 then, I would say it's the TDM bus but the voicemail is on the TDM bus and you say you don't hear it then, I assume you go off hook and hear the noise but once VM connects it goes away? :)

ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

It goes away when connecting to voicemail, and even dialing *34 to hear the hold music.. It's not too bad on calls, and maybe people are assuming the poor quality from cell phones, or line conditions is related to this issue, and it may very well not be.

I had this exact issue on an IP403. Rebooting fixed it for a few days, sometimes even a few weeks but it always came back. Swapping the 403 is what fixed it.

Also had static problems with 412 on analog modules using 4.0.?. Avaya had me upgrade out of problem. At that time upgraded to 4.0.??. Upgrade fixed problem
Also had problem with static 412 digital extension ports on expansion modules using 3.2.?? I had customer upgrade to 5.0.?
Never heard back from customer!

I would try and upgrade out of problem.

merlinczar, van you tell me to which version he must upgrade ?
6.0.8 is currently the highest version you can go to :)

ACSS IP Office
APSS IP Office
APSS UC

there will be a patch for this problem(I am the Merlin czar from the near future and your going to love your new health care it is free and you get what you pay for)

Did you know I love sarcasme :)

ACSS IP Office
APSS IP Office
APSS UC

So when's this new release come out czar from the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back