Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static IP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingleboy

Technical User
Oct 30, 2004
US
I am wanting to set all my workstations to Static IP addresses. I was running a DHCP Server to issue out IP's and the clients were set to obtain automatically. I noticed in DNS that there are aliases for all of the clients. If I set the clients all to staic IP's, do I need to do any configuration in DNS? DO I need to delete the aliases and create new ones, ore create host records?(or dose WINS take care of this?)

Dingle

You should rethink the move to static IP's for client PC's as you are setting yourself for alot of needless work, now and later, when you need to manage change.

On the rare occasion you require static IP's for client PC's (every site has a couple, like the cheque printer, mail list PC, remote VPN client) you should opt for a reserved DHCP address.

With the intergration of DNS and DHCP there is no good reasons to go static for client PC's.
Hope that doesn’t sound too much like a sermon <wink>
andy

Good points from Andy.
So, unless you are talking about just 5-10 PC's, use DHCP.
Make the lease time high enough, so IP's will never really expire.
Like Andy said, with a DHCP server configured properly, one spot to change the entire office wiil do just fine.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

dingle - why do you think you should change something that works for something that will make your head ache?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back