Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

static ip routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhayes1_imported

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2001
US
hi,
does anyone know how to input the static route. I mean the static route format! I know the command is ip route address subnet address. but what i don't know what address goes where! like which address goes where? thank you,

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 208.13.128.2

ip route network subnetmask route/next hop Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Hi,

Jeter is correct... you can also put:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s/0 (or whatever interface name)

for example, if you had a T1 come into an internal CSU/DSU in your Cisco router, you can just list the interface name (get this by doing a "show int") as your next hop.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hello,

Then how to remove this static router? What command should I input?

I am new to this.

Gilbert

no <command you typed in>

I will add that best practices are NOT to use the interface name when specifying where to send the packets. One it's a huge pain to troubleshoot if its not your network and some commands will not function correctly with it. Its a case of it does work... but it can cause problems if used without regard to the network design.

MikeS

Find me at
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

to remove the static route you must use: &quot;no ip adres...&quot;

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back