Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static IP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhope

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
GB
Hi, I am trying to connect a laptop directly to my DSL router to temporarily give it a public ip while a 3rd party log in and configure some sofware on it. Problem is I can't get the public static ip working.

My ip is xx.xxx.14.4
subnet is 255.255.255.248
my router (gateway) ip is xx.xxx.14.6

I have checked all the obvious things firewall, proxy server, etc but nothing. I can ping internal ip addresses i.e. xxx.xxx.14.5 but not external ip addresses.

I have tried another laptop 'B' with the same settings and it works fine, so i have concluded it must be something to do with laptop 'A'. Any suggestions?

The only way this would work the way that you're describing, is if your ISP provides you with both the .14.4 & .14.6 addresses. Next, You'd need to put a hub or switch in front of the router, & provide one line from the switch to the router, another from the switch to your PC.

The best solution to accomplish what you're after would be to put this PC in the router's DMZ. The next best would be to connect the PC directly in place of the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back