Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static IP addressing for workstations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingleboy

Technical User
Oct 30, 2004
US
I am wanting to set all my workstations to Static IP addresses. I was running a DHCP Server to issue out IP's and the clients were set to obtain automatically. I noticed in DNS that there are aliases for all of the clients. If I set the clients all to staic IP's, do I need to do any configuration in DNS? DO I need to delete the aliases and create new ones (or can I just modify them with a predetermined address), or create host records?(or dose WINS take care of this?)

I would suggest that you stick with DHCP. If you have an application that needs your clients to always have the same IP address, then use address reservations in DHCP. That way your clients will always get the same IP and you can push down your DNS and gateway information still via the DHCP which can be really importatn if you were to have a DNS server go down and needed to quickly get a change out to all clients. It is a heck of a lot easier to ask people to reboot than to go to each workstation and change the TCP/IP settings.

Your 2000 and XP clients will automatically register themselves in your DNS unless you uncheck the box to do so in the TCP/IP properties. Those entries will get automatically updated if a client machine changes IP, so you can leave them alone.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks- yeah the order has been sent from management so
I have to go static

I guess what I am saying here is that there is more than one way to go static. I'd put that before management who don't always know the tech stuff and just go by some stuff they heard on the golf course.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

ask them where the benefit is. One mistake and the network is going to have big problems.

It sounds like the management doesn't know the potential downfalls to static IP addressing. I'd do what was stated above and bring all the points brought up to their attention.

Only go static on workstations that need to be. I manage six sites and we're always moving computers from site to site. All I have to do is install software and then plug and play when I get to the site. In large organizations, it's a pain in the but to manually configure the IP for the workstations. If it's a small office, go for it.

I agree with all the above... no static, DHCP. As markdmac stated: use reservations in DHCP, if you need to know a machine keeps it's address (or exclude a block of address for small groups of static devices..).

But since you asked...
A records and PTR records will need to be adjusted if you go static. (as well as maintained.. sheesh....). WINS may cause some minor issues during the cutover if you are changing everyones address around. (It will recover)

good luck

scottie

Want to go static? Ok, here's one of the biggest downfalls you are going to see... You have to maintain an exact record of every IP address you set on every IP device (workstation, network printer, etc) you put onto the network. You are going to have to go to each and every network device and manually configure the TCP/IP on each and every one.

Want to make a change like add a new DNS or add a router? You'll have to go around and reconfigure each device again. Basically, you're going to have to reconfigure each and every device anytime you make a change to wins server, dns server, routing...

God forbid you should make a mistake and assign an IP address to more than one network device!!! Do you think your users are going to be nice? No way! I guarantee one of your users somewhere is going to change the settings, or add a device like a printer (undocumented IP addresses). Good luck finding the location of it!!!

I agree with the above of RESERVING ip addresses based on the MAC address in DHCP. If you are trying to do this for security reasons, then for the unused addresses in the pool, reserve a mac address of 000000000000 for those so nothing can sneak in and get an address via DHCP. Have the DHCP server maintain your list in one central location.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

See you other thread955-956878

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanx for all the input guys, it is feedback like this that really keeps Tek-Tips alive! Well I told the boss our concerns and he is intent on stic IP's - so I configured on the worksations, and made the revisions to Dns (host files and pointers- which was a pain in the butt!) The only good thing I can see out of this is that I know who is who on my network?! lol Thanks guys

just out of curiousity, WHY did your boss want static IP?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

We've always used static IP addresses and we've talked about going to dhcp every now and then, but I like static. We've got 250+ clients our there and to me, the convenience of always knowing the IP address of a machine outweighs the trouble of keeping records. When we get a batch of new machines in, they get IP addresses and they keep those addresses until they are decommissioned and then those ip addresses are re-issued to new machines. It would be a hassle if we had some infrastructure changes we couldnt avoid, but the convenience of knowing every device and its ip address, still, to me outweighs the possible inconvenience of those kinds of changes in the future.. but we only have a couple hundred devices to keep up with. It would be different if there were thousands...

That's a way of looking at it, but mistakes can and will be made.
If you use DHCP, and you want to keep track of what IP is where, just put your lease time 60 days or more, once the IP assigned, it will not expire anymore either, but you still have the advantage of being able to quickly make DNS or other changes, and to hook up a temp. PC for tests or so.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

I have managed small statically addressed and large DHCP networks for years. Where is the problem with 13 static machines?
You can create a DHCP setup to dole out IP addresses to visitors or roaming laptops dynamically but exclude the 13 machines from the scope.
Preferably on a small network I would rather have static; for me, after 30 machines, life gets tougher with static. With 13 machines you could have the IP addresses memorized.
As far as duplicating an address on the network, big deal, the network will inform you it is a duplicate. If you go static, I would exclude the first 50 IP addresses from the scope, for leeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back