Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static caused by High Frequency Welder 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

brotech

Technical User
Jun 29, 2011
CA
Norstar 616 is unusable when the High Frequency welder(used for stainless and aluminum) is in use. Client has 3-Phase power in his shop, so we tried moving the 616 to an AC plug that is on a separate phase than the welder and installed a UPS as well. Still no difference.
Does anyone know of a filter or some other way to isolate the phone system to avoid the static?
The 616 and the welder are 50 ft from one another. The 616 is in the Main Electrical room close to the main electrical panel and the step-down transformer.
I could move it, but the customer is telling me he had the same issue at his old location where he had single phase power and the system was nowhere near the electrical panel or the welder.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted??
Thanks

Does static occur only on calls to the outside world over the CO Lines or does it occur station to station as well?

If it also occurs station to station, you could simulate a move of the system by finding a CICS or another 616 laying around somewhere. Tail out an amphenol cable with a couple jacks on the end and plug a couple phones in. Take that setup to the site and move it around the office and see if it has static when the welding machine runs. If it is clear, extend a CO Line to the temp system and test again with an outside call. If all clear, move the 616.

I agree with test system

Also find out if the welder was legally/professionally installed or that it has an issue itself.
If not done correctly can cause static magnetic fields.....transformers can cause this a lot.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I've had the same issue with alarm control panels in banks. There's no easy fix here! Nortel suggests "Ferrite Beads" around the power cord- who are they kidding?

Have their electrician install a "Dedicated Isolated Ground circut" and IG recepticle for the 616. Without a dedicated IG your are shareing the same ground in the sub or main panel no matter where you plug in. Make sure he does this without 'cheeting' (not that electricians would ever do that) but if done correctly WILL help the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back