Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup stops at Win 98 screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkuti

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2003
KE
My Laptop running on windows 98 on startup stops at the windows 98 screen forever. When I press the 'Esc' key I am taken to a blank screen with only the cursor showing. How do I solve this problem?

Hit F8 before the win98 screen comes up and see if it boots into safe mode. If it does, it is prob a driver problem.

If you cant solve the problem any other way, try running (from safe mode, i am unsure if you can run from DOS)

C:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe

This will reinstall windows without blanking your files.

Let me know :)

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

Before reinstalling Windows, try going into safe mode and using msconfig:

1) Start -> Run, type msconfig and hit OK
2) On the startup tab, uncheck everything except LoadPowerProfile, SystemTray and ScanRegistry if they exist
3) Hit OK and reboot Windows normally

If you still have problems, go back to safe mode and try to disable your NIC (Network Interface Card) in Device Manager if you are connected to a LAN.

Don't forget to scan for viruses (which you can do in safe mode). There's also some information here on how to restore your registry to a last known successful attempt:

If all that fails, then perhaps it is time to reinstall Windows to replace any corrupted files. However, you must realize that if a device in your system is using the wrong driver, Windows won't necessarily discover the problem on its own.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

you can also view the Bootlog.txt file and see what part of the boot process has a possible problem.

kilroy [trooper]
philippines
"and that's what we call creativity..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back