Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup problem w/ new processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottge

Technical User
May 2, 2005
US
Hello all,

I recently decided to upgrade my Soyo Dragon KT-400 motherboard w/ an Athlon XP 3000+ processor. After doing so, the motherboard recognizes the processor and the computer seems to operate normally, but this is when it is running. During an initial startup or cold reboot, the computer powers on, sounds the normal two beeps that this board does, but then gives me one long beep followed by two short beeps, and then the system hangs. There is no video displayed, but the monitor LED is yellow, and the system remains powered on. I am inclined to believe that this is a power issue (running a 400W) power supply other than a bad processor, but need some assistance in determining the actual problem. I referred to Soyo's website on actual beep codes, but did not find anything relevant to my problem. My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 3000+
Nvidia Geforce FX 5900XT
Western Digital Caviar 160 GB HD
Western Digital Caviar 250 GB HD
Sound Blaster Audigy 1
1.5 GB DDR
Artec 16X DVD-ROM
Memorex 8X DVD/CDR Burner
3.5" Floppy

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 long and 2 short beeps indicates that there's a video card problem.
Reseat the card making sure it's fully seated(sometimes it needs a healthy push to properly seat), make sure that the end of the card opposite of the hold down screw does not slightly raise out of the slot when the screw is fully tightened, check that its cooling fan is running, and its heatsink is securely attached.
If those are ok, then try a different known working video card. If it works, then either your card is bad, or the power supply may not have sufficient capacity to run the system.
If a different card does not work, then the card's slot may be bad.

ottge
Certainly could be a PSU issue.
You have some high consumers in your system and under cold start conditions there maybe a voltage drop causing a non initialization of the graphics card.
Is this PSU a decent quality unit? Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake etc or is it a cheap generic unit?
Are you plugging in the extra molex power connector to the video card as required.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back