Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup error message in Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanCorst

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
GB
I have EPO 3.0.1 running with a combination of win2k and XPPro machines. I load Vscan Ent V7.1.0 and Alert Manager 4.7. Recently some of the Win2k machines have been coming up with the following error message at startup: "amgrsrvc.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows" etc. Alert Manager is shut down on the PC. The error message is intermittant. Has anyone else been experiencing this error or is it just me?

I don't see why Alert Manager is installed on every PC as it isn't required to be installed. I have it installed only on a few servers where I designate them as the central location where I want all my clients to send its virus detection alert messages to. From the Alert Manager server, it then sends out the e-mail notification to the appropriate administrators who needs to view the instant alerts.

If you don't want AM loaded on all the machines you will need to change the policy for the AV version at direcoty level. When you enable Alert manager alerting in the VS policy and specify the manager server it will push the policy down to every machine that is getting the policy. I am pretty sure the error you are seeing is being caused by an spipe connection failure at startup because the network stack does not respond as fast as the AM and the error hits. I am sure there is an AM hotfix and a new version of AM 4.7.1 that should help your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back