Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup different form for different users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krullms

MIS
Aug 5, 2005
US
I was just wondering if there is a way to open a form for the Read user and a different form for the Fulldata user.
This way the read only user can't see the options or goto the options that the fulldata user has.

Thanks,
Mike

You can only have one startup form defined. A way around this would have to have a dummy form that picks up the current username and opens the appropriate form depending upon who the current user is.

John

How are ya Krullms . . . . .

Consider an independent table with fields:
[purple]UsrName
UsrType (Read/Full/Other?)[/purple]

You could us an [blue]AutoExec[/blue] macro to call a function that looks up the [blue]CurrentUser[/blue] and opens the approriate form.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

My AutoExec macro launches a startup function. One of the things this function does is it gets the current user name, opens a table to find that user, and then reads the name of the form assigned to that user. I then open that form found in the record.

Pretty much similar to what Aceman1 was referring to.

Thanks for the tips, I ended up copying my switchboard form and table and editing one to only have the buttons that the read only user can use. I then just have a splash screen which looks at user then loads the right switchboard.

Thankyou
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back