Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting with blank setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideshowpete

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
US
Hi all

I keep seeing all these Definity systems for sale on eBay and I'm tinkering with the idea of getting a small one for a backup PBX.

Passwords etc. always seem to be at issue with these systems so the question is, how do I power up a Definity to it's default, ready-to-program state ? Do I actually need a memory card with a bunch of default translations on it, or can I just boot the thing blank and then start to add feature sets and programming ?

It should be noted at this point that I have every intention of purchasing the necessary RTUs - I can just see the headache of trying to explain this all to Lucent coming a mile away.

Thanks

Pete

You can never boot a Definity without a proper Flash-card inserted. Different flash-cards are interchangeable, but there are a lot of hard- and softwarediffernces you should be aware of before trying to boot with another flash-card than the one with the original translation on it.
But since you're planning on paying for the RTU's anyway, you should get all your stuff from AVAYA or your local reseller anyway...
If the system you're buying for backup is the same model (with the same processing hardware) as the Definity you have now, you could try to boot it with your own flash in it...

Hope this helps...questions? Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

-Please let me know if this was of any help-

One of my lab Definitys had the flash card removed during an extended power outage. The system powered up just fine, with a blank database. We could log in and administer the system, but we didn't have any dial tone because the database was shot.

When we got back to work on Monday, we powered it back down, inserted the flash card and booted it back up. The database was fine (albeit a little old).

mgs

Hi,

I would disagree with the above posts, you should be able to boot the switch without the flash without any problems ,however it will be a very basic system (BCS, with nothing but the bare bones turned on). I would strongly suggest that you don't boot the switch with a different translation card as during the reading of the flashcard on boot the serial number of the processor is compared with the one on the translatin card - in this instance as they don't match the save translation feature will be disabled and an alarm will be generated, if this isn't resolved by Avaya within a certain period all admin. features will be disabled. I can imagine you would have a bit of a hard time explaining this to Avaya.

I suggest if you do buy the switch, have Avaya turn on the RTUs first and then save translations and go from there.

Hope this helps,

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back