Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting to work with coldFusion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsterS

Programmer
Apr 24, 2001
US
I have installed XPPro with the IIS server on my local machine. I have installed ColdFusionMX server on my local machine.

When I installed IIS it created a directory named inetpub and when I installed ColdFusion it created a directory called ColdFusionMX.

In each on these directories is a folder called Thinking I have it installed properly I tried to copy a small program into Dream Weaver that is in the Getting Started document.

After copying I tried to preview in the browser and the HTML worked fine but the coldFusion Tag did not

<cfoutput> Todays Date is #DateFormat(Now())#</cfoutput>

I received no error message so I am stuck on how to solve the problem. I feel that I must not have things installed properly.

What I need is description of what the enviroment should look like after all is installed.

I am trying to use Dream Dream Weaver and ColdFusion and do it locally on my computer.

Thanks for help you can offer.

Jim Shepard

when you preview the document in dreamweaver, you have to make sure the page is being called through the web server, not just opening the doc in IE from its location. i dont have a copy of CF on my local machine, but you should be able to accomplish it by setting up your local computers info in the 'Testing Server' page in 'Define Sites' you can just use the inetpub folder in your HD root, not the one in CFusionMX. you're environment is probably fine, just make sure when you are testing pages that the address bar looks like " instead of seeing a path to file.

Thanks for answering so qickly. I think you are right the plumbing looks right. The CF Server is running and all of its services as well.

I found this bat file called IIS_Connection in the bin folder of ColdfusionMX and ran it. It started all kinds of activity and I am wondering exactly what does it do. I am going to test some more stuff here quickly and see it has made a change to my problem.

JimsterS

To eliborate on NorthStarDA's post, you have to make sure that you're processing the page through your computer's web/CF server. You can't just open up the file (or view it Dreamweaver) like you do a regular html file. The file has to be processed by the ColdFusion server in order to execute the cfml. To do this, you will have to go through your "localhost" (local web server) when trying to view the page.

For Example:
If you have a page called index.cfm in the directory C:\Inetpub\ you could not open your browser and type "C:\Inetpub\ and view the page. You would have to open your browser and type " to run it through the web/CF server and process the code.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

&quot;My work is a game, a very serious game.&quot; - M.C. Escher

Thanks ECobb and NorthStarDA. I finally understood what you were writing and got the little script executed by the CF Server.

I kept thinking after I edited the script that it would run by preview in the browser. Obviously that was not the right way.

Thanks Again
JimsterS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back