Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting to look into Telephony IP Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwilch

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Greetings! My company is beginning to look into the Telephony IP solutions (some refer to it as VOIP though, technically that's the incorrect term :) ) and I wanted to see opinions of what people felt the best solution was and from whom it was.

I've seen various mentions of the Avaya IP Office solution and have done some reading on it. I've also been looking at the 3com NBX 100 system.

Again, just looking for general thoughts on some of the Telephony IP solutions out there. The systems we're looking for would be for small/medium sized offices, most likely not to exceed 100-150 stations.

Thank you for your input!

While I am partial to Cisco's solution you may want to look at Shoreline. They have a pretty good solution that, from everything I have seen, is farily easy to manage and very cost effective.

There's a system out there that not a whole lot of people are talking about, but is something we sell pretty often. It's ESI's IVX system. It's for small to medium size companies and is a very powerful solution. It's also very cost effective. They just released their IP systems last year and they buzz is very high. To find more info, go to Hope this helps. Good luck.

Bay Area Phone Tech

"I don't know everything, but then again, who does?"

The following article (link originally posted by someone in this forum sorry cant remember who)

is a very good (and recent) comparison of 5 IP PBXs. I suggest that it is an excellent help for bwilch

It even provides a like for liek comparison of costs per station!

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Are all of your phones in one location?

What hardware are you using today for the Data Network?

What is your current voice solution?

Do you want to preserve any part of either of these systems?

There are several IP Telephony systems out there that might suit your needs, but without some basic info I do not see how anyone can reccommend one system over another.

I like Cisco, but it might not fit your needs. I looked at the Shoreline solution last year, and I am familiar with the 3com solution and I think I still have my research docs on the Avaya product. I will be glad to share any or all of my info on these and other systems I have looked at for our orgnization.

We have been on IP Telephony since early 2001, actually started our research in mid 2000. So I have seen a lot, and boy it has come a long long way in a short time!

Mspivey
CCNP

Everyone:
Thanks for the information, it's getting me a start into looking at the services out there.

bythespy:
My company isn't directly looking at replacing our phone system, but part of the work I do with my company is to be ahead of the curve so to speak. We've been stuck on supporting and selling TDM type of systems to our clients and we wanted to focus on the Telephony IP solutions that are out there for further education as well as to offer to our clients another solution.

I understand there are vast differences between the systems based upon the needs of the client. I've been looking at the Avaya IP and have realized size, locations, etc make a huge difference.

So all in all I'm not looking for a solution for a specific need, but more am asking what people are using or have had good luck with in the past/current. :D

Well that is a whole different scenario.

I like Cisco, I bleed Cisco blue, when you cut me.

Mspivey
CCNP

For more info on the avaya IPO check the IP Office forum

Also look at MCK Communications. They have a VOIP Gateway which will allow you to connect a proprietary phone to a remote location over a WAN connection. They are compatible with Avaya, Nortel, Toshieba, and others. They have different pieces of equipment for each manufacturer.

Have you conidered the Mitel 3300? It's far superior to cisco and shoreline..
Email weav1@bellsouth.net for more info

First of all I admit I bleed Cisco blue when you cut me, I am biased to the core, but that is because the Cisco System works in my situation and I hve not had any trouble with it.

Now having said that I have not looked at the Mitel system, you obviously have experience with both systems, Which Cisco product are you comparing it to and how is it better? I am not being an SA, I am really interested to hear other VOIP & IPT users stories.

Thanks

Mspivey
CCNP

Interesting. I will be intersted to see the 999 to 199 phone products and the less than 199 systems in the coming months.

CCM and Unity Express are really KeWel!

Mspivey
CCNP

Have you been to ?
The OFFICIAL Cisco IP Telephony User Group!

"convergence isn't coming...... it is here." mspivey 2003

The Avaya solutions are rock solid as well. IMO the blended approach offered especially to those with existing TDM facilities are unparalleled. I will also admit I am biased towards Avaya. I run a shop with about 10000 end points in a mixed TDM and VOIP environment. No problems to speak of, and the features and Adjuncts offered through Avaya are reliable and wide ranging.

I won't get into what solution is better then other's because it is like talking religion, but Avaya is certainly worth a look.

I have a document I can send that shows that Avaya IP sales are going up and Cisco sales going down. I've heard that the Cisco is not as secure as the Avaya solution. If you would like it, send me your e-mail address.

I received it from Avaya, it's a collaboration of independent studies from RDS Global, Gartner Inc, Info Tech, Synergy Research Group & others.

Toni269

Is there a link you could post? Then anyone "just passing" can read the info too

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your feedback.

I've been looking into a lot of the suggestions you have and in essence, learing the Telephony IP world myself. I wasn't very up to speed, and am still catching up on what is out there.

Based on the partnership we currently have in place, I'm going to look further into the Avaya IP Office solution as well as the 3com NBX solution. It has been wonderful the feedback you guys have been offereing though.

It's amazing to find out some of the information I've been gathering and reading. Changing gears from the TDM world into the Telephony IP world is an interesting change.

Thanks again for all your help and information. I have to admit I'm loving TekTips even more and more each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back