Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting to Develope

Status
Not open for further replies.

VieiraR

MIS
Jul 3, 2003
US
Hi, My boss want me to start to Lotus Development. I am going to take a class I guess. However he is a little bit slow at getting things going. Is there any good web sites I can go to that may help me get started?

Rich

and

NotesDesign has free access, Advisor is a general tech site with a Lotus section (parts require paying subscription to use).

As with all Notes newbies, I must bring your attention to some basic facts about Notes development.
If you already do VB development, you will find that the structure of LotusScript is familiar. However, the resemblance stops there.
You must approach Notes development in a different way from practically all other development tools. In C++, VB, Perl or whatever, you have total freedom with how you want to structure data and its up to you to find an efficient way to access.
In Notes, your data is stored in a set structure. What you must learn is how to use the structure and its functions to get the most efficient code. Do not try to reproduce coding methods you know (like how to create a table and fill it with data) - that will ultimately just frustrate you and it will not work. Instead, learn the right way to create data records by creating a view, populating the view with documents and using lookup functions.

In short, Notes was designed to manage information in a certain way. Use it well and it will work wonders for you. Do not use it and you are heading straight for the wall.

Good luck !

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back