Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting to advertise by mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmoyes02

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
My business is to a point where I am going to start sending out mail advertisements. I have 2 questions:

Does anyone know where to get a free database of businesses including employee size in North America?

When I send these advertisements out, who do I address the mail too? I am advertising software to mainly Tech Employee's. Would I address "Directory of Technology"?

Thanks

IT Director

Director of Information Services

Network Administrator

Chief Information Officer

Thanks, are any one of those preferred?

Director of IT, or IS is usually what I see (sometimes IT Coordinator), you can generally get an idea based on the size of the company, typically smaller companies wont have a CIO, probably really small companies use a Network Admin, counties/governments usually have a Director of IS and then theres the CIO/CTO for the bigtime companies. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure you check the legality of sending unsolicited commercial emails in your jurisdiction (Unless you like the taste of prison food [smile])

You may also find that sending spam, particularly to IT pros, will have a negative impact on your business image.

Steam Engine Prints

The better (or smarter) way might be to get businesses to sign-up for specials/promos by mail.

Mass mail advertising is a bad idea, majority of the times ppl just throw them away and not even read it (I know I throw them away without even paying much attention to them).

If you're sening these mails to the likes of IT Director, Director of IS, Network Admin, and CIO then chances are very rate that these ppl themselves open and read mails, usually there secratary/receptionists/intern do this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back