Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Specific Java Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlowe9

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I am just trying to learn java.

Can I specify which version of the java plugin to start? I have two applications, one that uses 1.3, one that uses 1.4.2.

In a web page, how do I code an applet (object, embed, whatever) to call a specific version of the applet?

I thought using the tag:
Code:
<param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3">

would get it done, but it doesn't. Thanks.

1.4 and 1.3 are not fully compatible, take a look at focus issues for example.

The problem is that the user may have one or another version, I'm not sure you can specify that, it's supposed to be a client setting.

Cheers,
Dian

The 1.3 applet is an application we bought from a vendor. It somehow uses version 1.3 and only 1.3. Same with the application for 1.4.

The user will have both versions.

I don't have that choice. The application just "calls" 1.3, I can't make it run in 1.4

I don't understand the question now. Isn't that the behaviuor you're looking for?

Cheers,
Dian

Maybe I wasn't specific enough to start with. My problem is that if I start the 1.3 application, then start the 1.4 application - IE crashes along with both applications.

However, if I start the 1.4 application first, they both work fine.

So I was thinking I could do a very generic applet in each version of java, and start them in the order that works (1.4 first, then 1.3) before the user can even start any application.

I've started to think maybe it's not worth the effort to get working and maybe display a "you must shut down <the 1.3 application> before running <the 1.4 application>" message box; and leave it to the user to do it correctly.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back