Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting program at login only when at the office

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusWendel

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
SE
Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to launch a program (a simple cmd-file) on login, but only when the user logs in when at the office and has access to the servers there and not when our outdoor sales people are at a customer, any thoughts on how to do that?
Thanks.

/Marcus

How about creating a simple .bat file placed in the startup folder for that user. The .bat will activate whatever command or exe you need.

When remove users login, how do they authenticate? Do they just login with cached credentials? I'm pretty sure that login scripts set by GPO won't run if you're logging in in this way - so you could just setup your script as normal and it should work fine. Alternatively, if they are dialing in via VPN, you could put a line at the start of the script that grabs their IP address - if they're in the remote dial-up subnet then exit the script straight away.

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

They log in with cached credentials and the cmd-files set in the group policy are run.
The ip-address solution sounds very good, how can I set that up?

Thanks.

/Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back