Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

starting out on my own questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugerlover

Programmer
Jul 20, 2006
US
After being laid off after 20 yrs I have decided to go out on my own.
Location is 70 mile north of NYC.
I was billed out at 100.00/150.00.

So here are the questions..

1. I have to do an estimate for a 12 cubes 24 office with a drop ceiling, 36 drop cat 3 and 96 cat 6 ..all new construction. I come up with approx. 40 hrs "yes that is the high end" to pull,terminate,and mount all cable equipment. I don't have a cable tester so i got a cabling company i have dealt with in past to test and certify for 1500.00 "said about 12 hours max".Now i really wasn't looking to start a cable company my forte is norstar programming so i really don't want to purchase a cable tester so my quote amount is about 5500 for labor for 2 guys"labor includes testing and certification" and roughly 6000.00 for material ...does this sound about right?

2.I am going to use Black box for a supplier..any problems there?

3.A labor rate @100 hr for 2 guys sound OK?

4.A Labor rate @ 65/75 hr for Mac/consulting work?

Any input would be appreciated.

Well i think you can rent a test set and do your own testing for cheaper than 1500.00 but the other sounds about right.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Check out:

I moved a wiring closet/small server room from one floor of our building to another and rented a Fluke tester from TRS. It worked out pretty well. I think you can rent on a per month, maybe even bi weekly basis. (This was 2 years ago so I forget exactly.) They ship in a ruggidized container and you just return everything when you are done.

I think it was $350 or $400 for our rental.

If I remember right they even have tools all the way down to punch and crimp tools you can rent if you need them.

Black Box- good equipment. At work we use Anixter, but I've done side jobs using them as a supplier. They don't mind shipping to a residential address, and you don't need an account with them to purchase product. (just a credit card) They were really good about providing for my last minute changes. (Customer says- I'd rather have Blue Data jacks- two days before the job was due to be completed.)

Your Labor rates sound about average. (for Michigan, anyway.)

Good Luck.

Ex-Verizon 25 yrs here. I am a one man show and with the high miles those ladder jobs don't look as good(wiring). One good way is a seperate estimates and sub out with someone you can team, you do system, they do wiring(hand them 2 papers. You can lose one and get the other). I dont do as much wiring now 2 years out,liking the gravy Norstar, but when I do, I do what the big boys taught me. Keep it simple. $$ per wire or my newest thing is $$ per location(combined data/voice). On most I roll in the patch, 110,s and bill ex: 20@85.00/data, 20@65 voice. It boils down to you have to be productive to make money at each thing you do. The faster you are, the more you make, but you still have to get the job. I don't think you will get that job if you bid it with hours.That,s for you to know. Bid them high if you don't want them. You may still get it. Cust love that locked in feeling. I dont test unless requested(only cont. pinout cheap tester).I use good stuff as part of the roll in price.(makes the testing mute).On the being productive, I like big hole box wire,wire just falls out of box, no tension, I use leviton patch,jks, have quick connect tool ,rapid jk. And I'm still slow,but I still go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back