Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting new career... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFI

Programmer
Apr 27, 1999
US
Hello. I took some programming classes in college, but went on to become a civil, then environmental health engineer. I would like to return to the world of computers and have begun to teach myself HTML and C.<br>
<br>
I'm looking for advice, syllabii, anything on what direction to take. I enjoy programming, testing, and debugging. I am very conscientious (SP?) about writing my code such that anyone can read it, etc.<br>
<br>
I would prefer to NOT have to return to school (at least not more than for a few classes), so any tips anyone has would be really appreciated!<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
--LookingForInfo (David)

Nowadays, people are looking for programmers right and left. They'll *train* engineers in programming, they'll train anyone--just to be able to get the work done that they need.<br>
<br>
Many ads are looking for BS/BA in computer science, but with your engineering degree, I assume that you have a mathematical background? And courses in programming are good.<br>
<br>
It's hard to find jobs for a specific amount of experience; I'm about to graduate with a BA in computer science, and either I'm overqualified or underqualified, and it's very, very frustrating.<br>
<br>
Check around at job sites like or go to Yahoo and do a search on job places online, and see what qualifications they're looking for.<br>
<br>
If you have job experience in relevant areas, you should be ok.... Computer skills are in high demand nowadays....<br>
<br>
<br>
Hope I helped, at the very least a little. :) I'm still looking for employment in the web development field. I have part time school experience in it for almost a year, and an internship over the summer... many interviews have come my way, and I have my fingers crossed. I'll cross them for you too while I'm at it.<br>
<br>
<br>
-Kyrene<br>
<br>

Dave-<br>
<br>
I am an experienced internet programmer. I have created my own fledgeling website programming/design partnership.<br>
I would be gald to take you "under my wing" as the saying goes.....and help you learn the ins & outs of internet programming. My business partnership is promising rapid growth and, if you'd like to have me teach you the programming (I WON'T charge much for my teaching...partly because my interest on this forum is NOT to drum up business, and partly because I'd really like to have your help in my business)<br>
If you'd like to contact me, you may reach me at any of the following:<br>
ICQ#: 34916735<br>
E-mail: robherc@netzero.net<br>
Business E-mail: webmasterstouch@thecenter.zzn.com<br>
Web Site*: <br>
* Website Address is soon to change....current server has been found to be unreliable.

There are several Internet site where you can find information regarding online learning. Of course, some are free and some are not. You should check out online technical magazines, user groups, etc. Check out the URLs below for a little more info:<br>
<br>
Reference:<br>
MCP Personal Bookshelf (FREE) MacMillan Computer Publishing - complete access to a large number of published books.<br>
DejaNews Archive for news groups<br>
Web Developers Virtual Library Many tutorials, etc.<br>
CNet's Builder.com <br>
Online Courses:<br>
Ziff-Davis University Free and Fee Courses and Self-Study Tutorials<br>
<br>
Organizations:<br>
HTML Writers Guild Lots of reference material, how-tos, mailing lists<br>
<br>
<br>
By-the-by, I have no affiliation with any of these organizations. (I'm a member of HWG, but I don't get a kickback or anything.) I just wanted to share the resources that I have found to be valuable.

Wow! Thanks for the responses everybody! I'm going to check out those web sites "caseybird" and Kyrene and I'm still waiting to hear back from my e-mail to you "robherc."<br>
<br>
Thanks again!<br>
<br>
--Dave

You didn't get my e-mail reply yet????<br>
I replied at 1:00 in the morning the day after you sent the original message.<br>
<br>
If you still haven't recieved my reply by tomorrow, please send me another e-mail & I'll try re-sending the reply.<br>
<br>
-Robherc

Rob,<br>
<br>
I got your e-mail right after I wrote that message, above. I have a lot on my plate right now, but I have responses for you. I am writing this from work and will reply to your e-mail as soon as I can find the time to log on at home.<br>
<br>
Thanks to you and EVERYONE for you responses to my query!<br>
<br>
--LookingForInfo (David)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back