Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Apps in Foreground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donato

Programmer
Jan 12, 2002
CA
Hi,

I have a little nuisance that I'd like to fix if anyone knows how. Whenever I start an app, any app, e.g. Word, Windows explorer, etc, it starts in the background, with a flashing taskbar button. In order to bring the app in the foreground I need to click the button. How can I make an app that I start appear on top of all other apps?

Thanks.

Donato,

If the last program you opened is still running threads, when you open a new process, or application, it won't "grab" the focus as the "Active Window" until you tell it to. Try to wait for stuff to finish processing before opening, or "Auto-Opening" applications such as from your "Start Up" group:

When you receive the Log On Dialogue Box, it's always best to wait another 30 seconds before attempting to log on to Windows 2000. Fact is, many of the processes have not yet finished at this point, and if you wait the extra 30 seconds, you will see any important error messages concerning processes, or services that fail.

Ok, I wish it wasn't this way, but Windows 2000 shares this little pain in the neck with Windows NT4.0!

So try this:
Once the PC has booted, you've logged on, and everything has settled down, (no Hard Drive activity for at least 30 seconds), open Word, and see if it doesn't open just fine. If it does, (and I suspect it will), you may simply have to be more patient with how soon you attempt to open applications, BUT ONLY IMMEDIATELY AFTER LOGGING ON. Once Windows 2000 is warmed up, you shouldn't have this problem, unless you are running other applications that perform calculations, or do other "non-stop" processing of threads, which would mean that no matter what you open, it will be forced to take a "back seat".

Let Me Know!

[pc3]

Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back