Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Apache as a Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneras

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
Hi all,

Have been searching around the web and docs but cant find the answer to this question:

How do I install Apache as a service and set it to run as the current user (whom ever is logged in)? by default it runs as the Local Systems account. I am creating an install that includes Apache and would like to save the users from typing the information in if possible.
Thanks!

Think about that for a sec. Webservers can have anywhere from 0 to thousands of users on at any given time. To do what you want, would require a new instance of apache for every user. A lot of processes would be statring and stopping in an endless cycle. Your server would become what we call in the vernacular of the layman - unstable.

I should explain better. I mean the current user who *installs* apache on their windows box, in the windows services window I want to have it set to run as the user that installs Apache (bobsdomain\bob). It installs it as the Local Systems Account that does not have the internall networking rights I need. So is there any kind of switch on apache like this:

C:\apache2\bin\apache.exe -k install <run as current user>

is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back