Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a process 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wattie29

Technical User
May 28, 2003
ZA
Hello there,

If you kill a process eg.

root 165 1 0 inetd
kill -9 165

How would you then restart the inetd process, ot is it automatic on demand.

Cheers

Iain

/usr/sbin/inetd

Usually you can do a man on a command to find out where it is, that is if `which inetd` doesn't tell you. You should check the man page before you start killing/restarting stuff anyway.

That particular process does have a run control script that starts it automatically when it enters a given run-level, /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc

HTH
Brian

Thanks Brian I will give that a bash.

Cheers

Iain

Wattie... You should only use "kill -9" as a last resort. "Kill -9" kills the process regardless to child processes. If there are child processes running they will become defunct processes. A better command to use for what you are doing is "pkill -HUP inetd" (Solaris 8 or newer). This command will kill and restart the process inetd.

I agree with bfitzmai. "kill -9" should really never be used if it can be avoided. A standard kill command will send a signal to the program asking it to stop itself. A "kill -9" just forces it to die- there is no graceful stopping and this can lead to some problems.

On a little side note, the "pkill -HUP inetd" doesn't actually kill and restart the processes. The "-HUP" option for inetd sends it a signal asking it to reload its config file (/etc/inetd.conf). Fairly trivial because the end result is exactly the same.

Thanks fellas, good advice I will bear that in mind,

Cheers

Wattie

Can anyone please tell me if Solaris 8 x86 2/02 supports Intel hyper-threading or do I need to turn it off through the BIOS prior to installing the OS? FYI, the PC I am installing on has dual Xeon CPUs.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back