Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a PC from an external source? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmanleygen

Programmer
Apr 8, 2004
US
Hello all,

Would anybody be able to lead me in the right direction for some information in relation to the Subject mentioned above?

What i have is a PC which I want to be able to start remotely?
I am not concerned how it is performed I am just wonder if there are any solutions out there already which i could use.

I would like to be able to tell a PC to start up from a signal from a USB or serial ... etc.

I know I could just wire the power switch into the circuitry of the external device but that would be a bit messy, and not vary practical.
Ideally I would like to be able to have one PC tell another PC to turn on. I'm not bothered by what may be required in between.

Has anybody every come across this before, and if they have where I could find information on this.

[red]Thank you,[/red]
Derry Manley

Most mobo/BIOS have a 'wake on lan' function that you can enable. This also requires the appropriate supporting hardware & software.

I assume you are connected by a LAN.

A LAN adapter with the WOL function like:

Software
Free
Paid

Hope this assists you

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks for posting back, we always wonder if the advice is of the type that was requested or of value.

I hope that you found this to be what you were looking for.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

If you really want to "remotely" start your pc, you might try this! Ok I doubt it is really what your looking for but thought I would throw my two cents into the mix for giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back