Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a inpdependant task

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamiller3

Programmer
Mar 20, 2006
US
I have a fairly remedial CICS question. Due to recent cutbacks in our company we have lost all in-house CICS expertise. I am wanting to know if there is a way for a CICS program to start another CICS task and continue on with it's logic without waiting for a return from the newly started task. We have a suite of CICS programs that are experiencing performance problems in QA due to some significant logging and housekeeping that was added to the programs that is not critical to the primary function of the program. If we could split that logic off to different "background" processes, I think it could help our problems.

I am open to any suggestions that any of you may have.

Thanks for your time.

Brent

Use EXEC CICS START (not the protected version, unless you want the START to be delayed until the current UOW is committed). It allows you to pass some data through, which the started task can subsequently access using EXEC CICS RETRIEVE.

HTH

FYI -

Here is IBM's URL's to The CICS 2.2 Bookshelf

Here is IBM's URL to the CICS 2.3 Bookshelf

I personally use these two as I work with 2.2 and 2.3
(I have 1.3 available also - if you need that URL).

I have not worked yet with 3.1. START has not changed between 2.2 and 2.3)

Application Programming Reference in each shelf has ALL the API commands - including START. Application programming Guide also good one to read up on.

Good Luck!
zSoftware

Thanks guys! That works great. Exactly what I needed.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back