Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start with C# or VB 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanHD

Technical User
Dec 1, 2008
NL
Hello

I want to learn a program language to expand my professional skills. I doubt between Visual Basic 2010 or C#. Microsoft offers for both the learning book 'Step by Step'.
I don't have any program experience at all. I do have professionals skills on standard finance and logistic software which are created for 'dot net'.
I read that C# is special created for the .net, but VB is also possible for .net. I also read that VB is easier to learn if you don't have program experience at all.
So what is wisdom, first get feeling and learn to program in VB, or start with C#?

Dan

c# and vb are both strongly typed, object oriented programming languages. the main difference is syntax. programming is about understanding how to structure the code, what to encapsulate, and how to do the simplest possible thing. whether that language is c#, vb.net, javascript, ruby, perl, phyton, java, php, erlang... the design principles are the same.

as for syntax differences.
VB reads more like the natural language. I find it wordy, but the functionality is just as strong as any other .net language. Most new devs start here because they like the natural language. One down side is they become dependent on the wording. reading code in another language like c# or ruby is more difficult. Some devs consider VB to be a "toy" language. This has more to do with the skills of the programmer than the ability of the language.

C# uses symbols instead of words. It closely resembles java. If you can read one you can read the other. I find most open source projects use C# instead of VB. Some consider it the "real" .net language, but again it is more about the skills of the programmer than the language.

to really get the most out of prggramming you need to understand what object oriented programming (OOP) is and what problems it solves. From there you can learn about patterns and practices that commonly appear in OOP. Then choosing a language is about syntax and features unique to that language.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

My input: use C#

I came from a heavy VB6.0 background, started VB.NET and migrated to C#.

Thanks both of you for your input.
With VB 2010 I thought VB as a .net language, isn’t it?
In the future I want to learn how to build some “add-on’s” on the standard software. I have understand that both language has to be compiled to a .net application. So, at the end, technical doesn’t matter in which application you have written the application. But when I can do a job by a company whose building applications, what shall then be the most common program? Will be VB ‘old school’ and is C# the language of the future, of do they call that already for the last 10 years and you will still see VB?
I think vbdbcoder says C# ;-)

Dan

Dan, you are focused too much on which language to choose. if this is the deciding factor for you are limiting possibilities and, quite frankly, setting your self up to be a low level code monkey. yes, we all start there, but few rise from this level. anyone can learn the syntax of a language, that easy. the true value comes from understanding how to use OOP to meet business requirements. and that isn't affected by which language is choosen.

if you are still trying to decide flip a coin ;)

After you have some of the basics down in language "A", try coding the same results in another language. If you can read/write multiple languages, even just the basics, you will be much more desirable to an employer than if you just know language "A" really well.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

thanks Jason, I'll think about this.

Dan

I find that both c# and VB.net have their strength and weaknesses. Part of the problem, I think, is the way in which Microsoft has developed each language. Each lang. contains parts that can be difficult to use and to understand why MS did what MS does. Sometimes the simplest things are difficult. Much more than they need to be.
Just my observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back