Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I HAVE JUST PUT 256MB RAM AND A CD REWRITER IN MY PC BUT NOW WHEN I START MY COMPUTER IT COMES UP DISK BOOT FAILURE AND WINDOWS DOES NOT START CAN ANYONE HELP ALSO IS IT NATURAL FOR THE REWRITER TO MAKE A TICKING NOISE PLEASE HELP

Take them both out and try to boot. If it boots fine, then try putting one in at a time until you get it set up.

If it doesn't boot up, try checking all of your cables. They may look like they are connected, but you may need to reseat them.

Good Luck.

hi
i can get windows started by pressing delete when the computer first starts and then escape form the setup page, then it starts fine but just won't do it from start up just says disk boot failure

If it is going to the setup page, then it is something it doesn't like. Probably the memory. When you escape from the setup without saving, it is going back to its original settings. Try taking the memory out.

Try these things. Check your instructions that came with your machine. Some machines had to have memory installed in certain slots. Some have to be put in in pairs of identical memory. Make sure that your machine is capable of being upgraded to the amount you are putting in. Also check to see what type of memory you need. Example P100 or P133 memory. This can make a difference.

hi
it reconises my ram but no drives and my cd rewriter is always making a de dum noise??

The problem is most likely in the bios. Is the cd rom internal? if so, you have to reset up your bios to recognise the additional drive. it may be set to having only 1 hard drive, and 1 cdrom, but now you have 2. Or, if it is IDE, you have it plugged into the wrong connection. If you need to know how to go into the bios, please say so, and i will post it. Sorry this is a choppy answer, but I really could use more information. I'm putting this post on a "priority" and will check it every hour or so.

hi yes the cd-rom is interneal yes could you expalin how to correct my bios, the cd rewritwer works fine i just don't see how it does not reconise any drives at start up, also i noticed my cd/dvd drive is now drive e instead of drive d and the rewriter is drive d now
thanks for your ongoing help

Make sure the new cd is jumpered correctly.If you are adding it to an IDE cable with another device already on it it has to be jumpered as a slave device.Most come prejumpered as master.When to devices are on the same cable both set as master it confuses the PC and will cause problems.

hi just taken the cd rewriter out and its perfect again. the only cable left in my system to connect the cd rewriter too is the one that runs through the hard drive and then go's to the primary slot?? but i notice when i load up it says primary smart hdd disabled has this anythig to do with it?????????????/ please help

Try putting it on the secondary IDE cable and unplugging one of the other two devices to see if it works.If it wont then take it back to the store where you bought it.It is not unknown to have a new device be dead on arrival.The warning you are getting most likely is about the cd-rw being slower than the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back