Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start up trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron40

Technical User
Nov 30, 2002
US
I have a hp pavillion 6623 pc, having trouble getting it to start up in normal mode , it will start fine in safe mode . When try in normal it gets to the point where the desktop is loading but the screen is a a ton of lines just rolling . A few weeks ago I installed a nivida geforce 4 video card , and it worked fine ,but now for some reasonit switched back to the old video setting . I can't change it back to the geforce in safe mode .

Take out the video adapter and reseat it firmly in the slot.
Try going in to safe mode, deleting the card, and then reinstalling it.
If this continues, I would bet you need a new card. I know it is new, but this is not uncommon.
Post and let us know..

Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Make sure the video refresh rate \resolution isn't too high for the monitor you have. this is a symptom of that problem.

I think Franklin is right on top of this problem..have seen it many times...the video card is overdriving the monitor...I had an older monitor on a system I replaced the video card on...got the rolling effect....multiples of the same screens all jumbled together. I connected my 19" (really nice) monitor and the picture was as clear as a bell. See if you can change the rate...I've seen it in the bios on one motherboard...with built in video...maybe a line in the start up files is setting the video rate..darned hard to figure out...

In safe mode goto display settings either in control panel or by right clicking on the desktop (not on any icons). Goto settings tab and save the settings that come up (16 colors 400x600 i think). Answer yes to changing. The other guys are right the settings are to high for the monitor. You can use true color but the diplay on most 14,15 inch monitors can't be higher than 800x600 and even in some cases lower. Let us know... Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back