Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start up biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat6daze

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
US
Hey everyone, not a tech question however I figure that there would be a bunch of professionals here with business experience.I'm starting a data cabling business and I need some advice on insurance for this field. Were trying to obtain gov't contracts and we needed to what they would expect. thanks in advance

I've only had one government contract, but I'll tell you now that each different agency has a different policy.

I had a county contract, and they required any contractor to have a 1,000,000 dollar liability insurance policy. There were other requirements, I don't recall the exact figures.

It cost me about $600 per year to have the policy.

Moreso than that, you're going to need your contractor's license as well as being bonded. Government agencies like to see certification as well.

You will have to call the gov. branch you intend to work for for that info. It will vary from county to city to state and to fedral. Everyone else will more than likey be happy that you are insured and bonded and it will help you get work through general contractors on new builds and remodels.

Avayanovice has it right, you will need at least $1M liability and a license, the exact numbers should be available through the contracting arm of that gov't office. In CA we have C7 (low voltage-voice & data) and C10 (electrical under 400 volts [I think] with the C7 included).

As with any government bid, check to see if they require prevailing wage rates. This adds major cost to your bid.

Also check to see if they are asking for "stupid stuff": like due to limited contracting dollars at a military base, we were asked to run a gel-filled cable through a building without the proper conduit. If there was a fire, that gel cable would burn very fast possibly injuring residents or fire fighters. They quoted a military bible that said the government does not need to follow EIA/TIA/NEC regulations. Apply business savvy.

Regards,
Peter Buitenhek
peter@profitdeveloper.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back