Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start/Search and Kazaa Shared Folder - Sluggish or causes crashes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorguruga

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I'm having problems when I try to access the Search facility. It always freezes for about 5 seconds after loading. I'm interesteed to find out the reason and cure for this.

Also, when I try to access my Kazaa Shared Folder the pc sometimes slows down to a halt. Sometimes it just freezes indefinately and a hard reset is in order. Other times it becomes extremely sluggish and my ram usage goes completely haywire! It sometimes drops to 0 free ram left - just when I try to access this folder with no other apps running (not even Kazaa). I have run thorough virus and registry checks but can't determine the problem. Any ideas anyone?

Additional Info: I'm using a new Kazaa shared folder created on the Desktop for the moment instead of the usual folder which is on a seperate partition. Could the fact the folder is on the Desktop be the cause of the problem?

Here is one of the error returns:

0D : 0A27 : 014F75BC

Another small, but related problem is that on startup the pc freezes for about 5 seconds and then resumes normal operation. Why does it freeze and can it fixed?

Sys info: Win ME, 256 Ram, 1.5 Ghz Pentium Processor, Intel M/B, 60GB HD, 40GB HD.

to be honest i not sure what the REAL problem is.
Here is what i would try:
Remove the kazaa shared folder from the desktop. anywhere but there.

If this doesnt help, theres only one more thing i would do: Re install win98 completely. This is because I assume the following: You have many different programs installed some of which you dont really use and some which are out of date (i know i have). All the programs are potential conflict sources which can cause problems like you describe.
PLEASE be advised that this is not advise but my opinion. only reinstall windows if nothing else helps and you want to tidy up your computer. (Once i have installed all the really necessary programs i usually save an image of the systemdrive. should something be wrong later, i just erase the systemdrive and copy the image back on it. saves a lot of reinstalling)
Good luck and lett me know if i helped...

"Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality"

Try disabling Active Desktop as web page(you might not like your background choices).....but hey.....
For Win98 which is Me's predecessor..
Right click anywhere blank on the desktop and from Active Desktop....Uncheck "view as web page".

Maybe this will help...maybe not(too long to explain why)....
But I gotta tell you.....the Free Kazaa from Cnet download is riddled with adware and web bots..
I would try for a scaled down, NO spyware version, No pop-ups, etc..
It costs, but it's cheap

I use Kazaa on my machine every other day. My kid uses Kazaa on his machine every day. Kazaa is PART of your problem.(the way you have it set up) but that is not what's causing your problems.

You didn't mention how much RAM you have but let's assume it's 128. If you have less than that....read no further....go spend $16 and buy ram.

Get the "Shared Folder" off your desktop. Put it in C or another partition but NEVER on you desktop. The reason I say "NEVER" is beacause you PC has to run through all that shit on your desktop before anyhting else (this is a crude way of putting it) BEFORE it can do anything else. (have you ever seen your desktop re-write itself?) That takes processing time.

If I walked into your home right now, I would move your "Shared folder" to C:\SHARED and then I would un-install Kazaa and after my reboot I would install Kazaa Lite.

Anti-Virus is very important here. I use Kazaa (as I said) every other day) but my son uses it daily. Kazaaa has great stuff for everyone. I download music and mostly software. My kid uses it for music. But there are many uses for Kazaa although one of those uses is to spread germs. Get Anti-Virus software first. It's free (even on KaZaA) and install it before you start stealing (um...acqiring, borrowing, trading, collecting) anything.

Moving on, you've got something eating resources. If you have the disk, do a re-install in place. If you don't...clean the shit outta that thing.

You know what I mean by "clean the shit outta that thing" right?
Get rid of all the crap and then run reg cleaners and such.

My kid's PC runs KazaA daily but it'd clean as a whistle (and I insure that because I AM THE SYS ADMIN IN THIS HOUSE)
Kazaa poses no threat to anyone who knows how to protect themselves.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Tony

you missed the Ram info in the second posting from the original poster.........(big deal,.i know,...We all do it)

Anyway....gotta tell ya pertaining to the other "dead thread".....titled "Ms-Dos Compatibility Mode Issue"

Someone pull the plug........

What a dump...ey humpty?.....:>)

viruses,trojan droppers, spybots; all from KAZAA and K++ scan your computer.

I just moved my Kazaa Shared Folder back to the original partition which was pretty much dedicated to Kazaa and where I experienced none of these problems. Now it seems to be running fine.

New Buddha - I didn't know that about the systemdrive - how does that work exactly? Back-up onto CD and then copy from there? I've had to re-install so many times in the past but I was hoping that my last reinstall would remain stable because I use a lot of music programs which take hours to configure and patch correctly on every install. Thanks for the tip.

TekTippy - I disabled the active desktop and a little ram was freed up so I'll leave it this way. I'll think about investing in the pay version of Kazaa, if it avoids problems like this could well be worth it. Thanks for the tip.

TonyBose - I knew there must be a reason as to why it was doing this but was never sure that it was using all that processing power because of the desktop location. I'll avoid the desktop in the future.. Oh, I had been running reg cleaners, AVs and Spybots but still had the problem. I also defrag once a week so it had me baffled. But it seems the desktop location was the thing. Thanks for the tip. And hey, don't let Kazaa make your kid grow up too fast - u know what i mean... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back