Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start OSK (On Screen Keyboard) at system power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsolvedCoding

Technical User
Jul 20, 2011
US
I am working on a touchscreen computer that uses the Windows OSK. I need it to start at system power up so it is ready for use when a user logs in, not at the desk top and not after touching an icon and then selecting the OSK at the logon screen.

So far I have tried the options for the OSK, using a scheduled task, adjusting settings in the registry, going to the joke of a Ease of Use Center (which options are pathetically few), going to MSCONFIG and also, no BIOS settings that I have found affect this option.

Does anyone know how to get the OSK to actually start with the system so it is ready at the logon screen when someone needs to logon?

>Ease of Use Center (which options are pathetically few), going

Not sure why you say that. The following procedure should deliver exactly what you have described.

1) Start the Ease of Access Center whilst logged on
2) Select and Apply the options you want (in your case 'Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard/Use on-screen keyboard')
3) Select 'Change administrative settings'
4) Tick 'Apply all settings to logon desktop'
5) Click 'Apply'

Now you can exit.

I should point out, however, that the OSK and the Tablet PC Input Panel (which is the keyboard that Windows Touch normally uses) are not quite the same thing.

DSummZZZ - Tried something similar without results. It keeps starting after the password is entered, not before. I will examine that again.

Strongm - Tried the Ease of Use Center like you indicated and it didn't work. Tried variations of that and it didn't work. I will try it again, there is always a chance I missed something.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (and HKEY_CURRENT_USER) \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RUN (and RUNONCE) only runs when the user has logged in (since they run in the user context), not before, which is what the OP wants.

I was able to get it to start through a couple of different things. First I went into the registry and had a few issues there and then went back into Ease of Access and made the recommended changes.

It must be this computer because for some reason neither worked and then the OSK started showing up like it was supposed to. Not sure why.

Thanks guys.

Nope. Means it runs for every user at logon. HKCU just runs for the user that created the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back