Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start menu linking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymax2U

Technical User
Oct 1, 2008
US
Why is it that in Windows as soon as one things seem to be getting better something else pops-up. Seems like a problem toggle at work.

Windows XP SP2

These are probably all related

From the Start Page
When I select the Start >> 'Help and Support' link a Shortcut Dialog box Pops up with the following msg >>
"Windows cannot create a shortcut here.
Do you want to the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead"

[ii] Similar effect for Start >> 'Search'
[iii] Similar effect for Start >> 'Run'
[iv] Start >> 'Printers and Fax' Seems OK so far.

From the Control Panel
I cannot open "Network Connection" to get to properties in order to set the Show Icon when connected option, of course this is not showing on the Taskbar.

[n] ... The many other SNAFU's still to be uncovered.

Is there a solution short of dumping the whole thing away?

"Start menu linking problem

First, run a malware scan with MalwareByte's Anti-Malware.

Reboot

Then run an SFC /SCANNOW and see if that helps. Reboot after before judging even though it doesn't ask you to reboot.

When all is well, update to XP SP3.

I've been a bit leery about updating to SP3 after hearing all the associated horror stories. I relented however, and the attempt failed it just give a short message that it failed because of an error condition.

Re: malware, I am running Microsoft Security, Avast and Advanced System Protector, do I really need to run more. Seems as if these would be all that we would be running on our computers in time.

What happens if you test in "Safe Mode with Networking", or in Normal Mode but with a different user?

"Microsoft Security, Avast and Advanced System Protector". Are these programs clashing with one another, do they provide overlapping actions?

See if you can get SP3 to go in in a clean environment by stopping (temporarily) all other running programs.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Have you ever allowed these messages to create a shortcut on the Desktop to see what type of shortcut, and to where, it creates?

If it was a file association problem, then this might help.

Easy File Associations for Windows XP

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Please listen to our posts or don't, but I do this stuff every day for people and I advise based on that experience. YES, you need to run the anti-malware that I mentioned and YES you should install SP3.

There are fixes depending on what the error was when installing SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back