Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwhitlow

MIS
Mar 1, 2000
US
Ok folks, I'm getting really torqued here. I just reloaded my computer w/ Win 98 SE and downloaded IE 5.5. In the registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run, a Value with the name "Start IE" and the data set to "Notepad.exe qazwsx.hsq" keeps showing up, even if I delete it! What is up with that?! AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! [sig][/sig]

Look for any "automatic update" stuff, and disable or delete it.
Use msconfig to get rid of the entry, and delete it again from the registry.
Something is writing that entry, and it could be a virus, but I don't remember it's name. (trojan). [sig]<p>Jim<br><a href=mailto:reboot@pcmech.com>reboot@pcmech.com</a><br><a href= & Sue's Free Files</a><br>Current moderator at Staff contributor/moderator at Windows 9x/ME instructor.<br>
Jim's Modems: [/sig]

Notepad.exe qazwsx.hsq -> this will load the qazwsx.hsq file on your hardrive, search for this file for more clues. May be a virus, pretty weird ?????

later
[sig]<p>ackka<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"Do No Harm, Leave No Tracks"<br>
ICMP Summer 2000, 2600 Article<br>
<br>
[/sig]

Found out what it was. Somehow I got the QAZ.worm virus. It must have come through an email or something. I don't run exe's people send to me, but it got through somehow. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back