Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start external program and continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellan4459

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
US
I am trying to start an external program. When I have the following code it opens a new command window. If I remove the start in front it opens the program as expected but also as expected you don't return control to the Perl script until the application closes. What am I missing that may be causing it to open a command window instead of the application when using the start call?

# Open program
my $start = "\"C:\\APPS\\flar 2_5_1\\FLAR.EXE\"";

system("start $start");

I seem to remember that unless a program runs as a Windows service, it will need to run in a command window. I've also got a feeling that it needs to be coded to run as a windows service before you can run it as one. Perhaps a windows guru might be able to offer more insight?

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

i got it using the cmd option, but I will admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying the fork when it didn't first succeed due to time crunch. i'm new to perl and learning while meeting a deadline.

thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back