Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start button not working - very confused???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbailey

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
I have a Windows XP Pro SP1 patched workstation that can't use the start button by clicking on it. You can click on anything else on the screen without any problems. If you press the Microsoft logo on the keyboard, that will launch the menu bar. I've looked for any kind of setting for this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I don't think there is any Windows configurable setting which would cause this. More likely is some type of corruption.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with the Start Button.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

There are some 'disabling' programs out there, that will allow you to change 'hidden' policies, including the ability to click on the start button, or the task bar.. You would know if you had something like this installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back