Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start a service from remote server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarka

Technical User
Jan 14, 2007
ES
Hi,
I need to start remote service from Windows Server 2000. I want to create batch file to complete this task.
I know the command sc: sc \\ip_computer start ServiceName, but I don't have this command in my Server.
How can I do this if I use command net start? I try to do: net start \\ip_computer ServiceName, but it doesn´t work for me.
Can somebody help me?

Thanks.

Make sure you are using credentials that have permission to manage the server remotely. If you aren't sure how to check that, configure a scheduled task to run the batch file as with the administrator account, or account with equivelent priveledges, on the server that needs the service running.

in addition to Flodiggs note you may want to try NETSVC which is part of the resource kit for starting services on remote servers. Hope this helps

I think you have to put the service name in quotes:

NET START "Error Reporting Service"
NET START "FTP Publishing Service"
NET START "IIS Admin"
NET START "Messenger"

Hope this helps.

Information Assurance,CCNP,CST

Alternatively this can be done with remote management tools. We use Desktop Authority's remote management feature to manage services remotely. It can be done from within the standard browser and that's simplifies the management in situations when you just have an internet connection and the browser which is often the case in business-trips. Although the interface is build by a browser all management features that we have in service.msc are there. So it's sometimes even easier to manage them from the browser because the operation is a bit easier there in some moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back